Monday, August 8, 2011

sun screen....

Pin It Now! I recently checked the neglected email attached to this blog and found this article in my inbox about sun screen from chictopia.com.

I'm kind of obsessed with sunscreen ever since my first trip to mexico 10 years ago that left me with permanent sun spots on my cheeks. Not to mention the rash I tend to develop with over exposure...yes I'm blessed that I don't burn...coming back from a tropical vacation with a rash is so much better.

At first I was about to go all out and buy the author's recommended products, but after just a bit of googling I found it completely unnecessary to buy the expensive products she recommends.

Sunscreens/blocks containing both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are easily available in the US, the are merely referred to as mineral sunblock. Aveeno makes one that has an SPF of 30 available here and probably at any store. Ocean potion makes one for faces using zinc oxide here. I've used the ocean potion quite a bit and find it to be pretty good, not greasy and doesn't really leave a white residue, it is a bit thick in texture though.

Though most sun screens in the US now use avobenzone aka Parsol 1789, Eusolex 9020, Escalol 517. This is a chemical sunscreen and is suppose to block out both UVA and UVB. To what degree I'm not sure...but what really kind of ticked me off was that that the Olay lotion she recommended (which I actually use) and she purports as containing titanium dioxide or zinc oxide DOES NOT! It uses avobenzone, same as the majority of the sun screens/blocks out there. Please at least get your facts straight! I know I know I sound like a total B**ch...she's not a real reporter, etc, etc. But seriously 2 min of google, all it took me to figure it out.

Yes her main goal was to get us to use sun screen you to prevent cancer and stay looking young and what not. Which I agree with, but aging, that has a lot to do with your genes. My mom has never worn sunscreen, in fact I don't think she knows what sunscreen is. Even when we would go to the beach as children no one wore any sun screen and you know what? She barely has any wrinkles or much sagging on her face.

On the other hand I have a friend...lets call her L. I saw her about 3-4 years ago, and she was a cute vivacious blond. Very nice girl by the way, got nothing against her. But a few months ago when I saw her again, I didn't recognize her. I told the bf she looks kinda like L but I don't think it's her. Then we talked and it was her! For a good hour I couldn't figure out why I didn't recognize her, I chalked it up to the new bangs and slightly blonder hair. The bf on the other hand admitted what I couldn't/wouldn't "she did not age well" he told me in the car.

Yup she had developed wrinkles where there was smooth skin before...but is that attributed to over sun exposure? Maybe maybe not, but you can bet genes have a good amount to do with it!

So go examine your parents closely...when exactly did they start to show signs of aging...that will probably be your fate as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...